There were times I didn’t regret skipping church.

There were times I didn’t regret skipping church. 

Why the heck did church have to be on a day literally called Sun-Day? 

I remember as a kid & up to this point in life I would always stare at the window in school, I would stare at the window at work, & I would stare out the window in college (literally staring out a window as I write this, in a Starbucks). Why the heck does so much of life have to be spent indoors? What has grass done to us that has hurt us so bad?

So I skipped church, so whaaat?? I had so much fun doing it too. Back in 2014 I would coach kids’ basketball games on Sundays & I had a blast! (That word doesn’t even give justice to how good a time I had) 

The main rule of the game was to get all of the kids playing time (so it’s the easiest coaching job in the world). I would ride the bus to work & even that would be beautiful, going over the Sydney Harbor Bridge right after sunrise is definitely worthy of a bucket list. I would always show up to a new location, meet some new people, & win a basketball game, yay!!

Good times but here’s the bad part. I was a having chit chat convo with the Father one day & you know what He said to me? “Well done, good servant.” Now if you know the Bible you know I’m missing a huge part of what God should be congratulating me for, where’s the faithful??

But I knew what I was doing, I was skipping church to coach basketball games. Even though there was nothing wrong with the activity, where it was on my priority list was the problem. 

So I gave it up (not basketball entirely, coaching on Sundays that is), & I started greeting people...at church...instead...& it sucked. 😂 It’s true I hated this job with a passion cause I signed up for handing out Bibles (where all the cool people go) but they put me outside instead. They put me...outside...instead, was this what I wanted all along? 

I spent so much time inside, I thought things were better outside but when I got there I decided to be an outsider too which wasn’t the best decision. 

I was good but not faithful, I was out but not in, I was lukewarm coffee in the morning, I got spit out. People order hot or iced coffee, anything different will get a lukewarm cup of coffee thrown in your face (this literally is one of the stories shared on the Starbucks training site, I’ve already said too much 😳

Anyway what’s good without faithful? If I always showed up to church but I was an a-hole I would be avoided like the plague, plague of frogs that is. But if I was the kindest, bestest, most genuine person in the world but didn’t show up to anything I was supposedly committed to, who would I really be helping? 

In the end I’ve learned a church skip is a life skip, one less good or bad experience avoided but one less life that was left unchanged. 

That made sense in my head, hope it made change in yours. 

(See what I did there) 

Peace. 


3/18/18

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Comfortability of Being Great (Mr. Morale & the Big Steppers 2023 Review)

He back! (Kevin Hart)

With every good idea comes a clock