The New Spider-Man Movie was mid.

The new Spider-man was mid. I’m not afraid to say it. 


When I heard a new Spider-Man was coming out, I wondered what it would be about. The story concluded so well with 2021’s ‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ & I wasn’t sure what was next for the character. I think the writers felt the same way after seeing how they wrote this movie 😂


To put it shortly ‘Spider Man: Brand New Day’ is the ‘Toy Story 4’ of the franchise, it’s cool to see all these characters again but there really doesn’t seem to be a reason why they brought them all back together again. 


We’ll start with the villain. 


In my opinion of all the superhero villains Batman is no. 1 & I would say Spider-Man is no. 2. From Scorpion to Vulture to Rhino to Venom to Carnage, the list goes on and on and only gets better. All of that to say with such a large plethora of great villains to choose from, why did they think the best choice was an X-Men (X-Man or whatever)? The only conclusion could be world building. 


To this day I still think the 2004 Spider-Man 2 is the best Spider-Man movie of all time. You shouldn’t have to know a backstory when going into any movie & that was definitely the type of movie that anybody could walk into and still understand it right away. 


As a movie in general it deals with some very worthy themes as the main theme of the entire movie is ‘you can’t have it all’ which was the main theme of the original comic books as well. To be Spider-Man full time means to also be late and/or a no-show to all dates, all commitments, & even to all work. 


In that movie Spider-Man is portrayed as a poor dude living in a crappy apartment who can’t even remember to attend his own birthday party on time. His love interest is engaged to another man & his best friend hates the secret side of him that remains unknown to him due to him thinking that Spider-Man killed his father. 


All of that gets balanced with one of the greatest Spider-Man villains of all time, ‘Doc Ock’ whose tentacles are a great mix of practical effects & CGI (& are still a spectacle to see today), especially with the hospital scene which thrilled and terrified me at the same time as a 12 year old seeing the movie in theaters. 


All of that to say it’s darn near the perfect Spider-Man movie & very hard to top. So when you’re 8 movies deep into the live-action Spider-Man movies who has been portrayed by three different actors at this point, you darn well better have a good enough/original enough idea to put on the screen. & that is where I think the film fails mostly. 


One thing I did like was the ‘buddy’ dynamic between the Punisher & Spider-Man, this type of dynamic has never really been explored in previous Spider-Man films (except maybe with Iron Man in 2017’s ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’) & it was cool to see this fresh kind of idea on screen for the first time. 


Other than that, I can’t think of anything else original that stood out in the movie. The Jean Grey ‘villain’ was another mind games villain like Mysterio in the 2019 film ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ & to tell the truth these are the least exciting types of villains out there especially for such a physical hero like ‘Spider-Man.’ 


If Spidey can’t physically fight the villain, is it even a villain worth displaying in the first place?


Spider-Man having trouble with his powers is another theme that was already done in the 2004 film, the MJ dynamic is a bit tired at this point throughout all the films, & even the whole ‘I’m gonna talk the villain out of being a villain arc because deep down they’re actually a good person’ theme has been done WAY too many times before. Shoutout to Naruto for having done this hundreds of times haha. 


Lastly the cinematography really threw me off. Was it just me or did everything seem gray? This movie felt allergic to color as it was not a beautiful movie to look at by any means & I’d love to have a conversation with the cinematographer Brett Pawlak to know what exactly he was going for. 


In the end the colors looked straight bleak and depressing (besides the park scenes with Jean Grey & her sister), in that this movie was basically an unintentional ‘Spider-Man Noir’ except with no reason on why everything was so black, white, & gray.  


All of that to say is this a bad Spider-Man movie by any means? No. Is it a top three Spider-Man movie of all time? Definitely not. Was it a necessary entry into the series? Not really either. 


Can another Spider-Man movie be made one day? Absolutely. I just hope & pray the next time around they will have a purpose for doing so & will not forget to throw in some fresh ideas & some color as well. 


That’s about it & I’ll leave it there. 


Peace. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Temptation: A ‘Sinners’ Analysis

Daredevil: Should It Have Been Born Again?

Black Ink (Old Cartridges)