The Fear of Asking Out a Girl

She was pretty, but not just any pretty, the most beautiful girl I knew. Her smile could stop a storm dead in its tracks, her gentleness could calm a rabid dog into a house pet, and her beauty was so great that it intimidated the strongest of men to their core. Yet I couldn't resist her. I did everything I could to try to get closer to her. Have a conversation, assist her with her work, all the while trying to maintain an authentic relationship.

There's no perfect time to ask out someone but when I tried the only words I could muster up were, "Have a great day." I immediately regretted my cowardice. I can't go on my whole life being afraid of what I've never experienced. I'm 26 years old and still have never been in a long term relationship. I've been on dates, liked girls before in the past, and even have gotten phone numbers without asking. I was too afraid to call them though. Always dealing with this deep fear that I would disappoint whoever I started dating, because I was scared. But I couldn't live like this forever. I want a family one day, I want to get married, how can that even happen if I can't ask someone on a date? So I did what I never did before. I turned back around and did the unspeakable.

"Hey I think you're really beautiful and I really enjoy chatting with you, would you like to go out and get coffee sometime?" I could have worded that a hundred times better but I had no time to practice just a red, beating heart to bear on my sleeve. The wait for an answer felt like an eternity although it could have only been seconds long. "Am I ready for rejection?" "Is this gonna make things weird at work?" "Is she already dating someone?" & lastly "Did she answer already?" I would have no idea because too many thoughts were spilling out of my brain that they had clogged my ears from hearing an answer. Her lips opened, "Sure I would love to. Here's my number." Is she for real? She's choosing to go on a date with me? If I was victorious in this small venture, what other areas of life have I been avoiding because of doubt?

I walked out of that warehouse like a new man. Like I had finally won the war that had been fought inside my head for years. Just when I was ready to surrender we stormed the castle to find out the enemy never existed in the first place. Yes I would get to go on a date with an out of this world girl but more importantly that day fear was dethroned and courage became king. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Comfortability of Being Great (Mr. Morale & the Big Steppers 2023 Review)

He back! (Kevin Hart)

With every good idea comes a clock